What should I pack in my newborn bag?
You're having a baby!
During this time there are so many decisions to be made. I remember bringing our first baby home, sitting his carseat in the kitchen and thinking, what's next? We were responsible for a brand-new baby! I remember thinking just deciding on what diapers to use was a big deal! Now there are so many more options on products for both Mama and babe. Here is a list of things that you don't want to forget when packing for both Mama and babe.
It's been a long 9 months. But the time has come. It is time to go to the hospital. But what should I have in my bag? I remember thinking this as a new mom. The things that I would and wouldn't need. The MUST HAVES versus the leave at home items. And don't forget the bag for parents! That was always the last bag that I would remember to pack. So here are my suggestions after talking to a ton of parents, having 4 kiddos of my own and being someone that loves baby items. While being a newborn photographer, I have a ton of time to talk to Mama's about things that they LOVE, things that are a waste of money, and a mix of the in-between as well. Read further to get some ideas to pack in your bag!
Baby's Must haves!
Here are the items that are highly suggested to have in your baby bag.
- Going home outfit
- 1-2 Swaddles/knotted sleepers
- Cute Swaddle for bassinet pictures/announcement pictures/fresh 48 session.
- Weather appropriate hats, gloves/mittens, socks
- Extra clothes
- Pacifier if you want to use a certain brand.
- The actual diaper bag
Parent Hospital bag must haves.
Here are the must haves for Parents while staying in the hospital.
- Nipple cream/ lotion/body butter
- Haakaa silicone colostrum collectors
- Haakaa silicone pump, breast pump, milk bags if planning on nursing
- Comfy robe (look at Canden Lane for matching mom and baby sets)
- Shampoo, conditioner, body butter
- Comfortable underwear
- Phones, chargers
- Insurance cards, doctors numbers
- Camera or photographer's number/contact information
- Favorite snacks/drinks
- Lip balm
- Sanitary pads
- Pillow/favorite blanket